Monday, February 26, 2007

Dreams: My Mother Won't Leave Me Alone

To all my dream analysts (it's a good thing I don't have to pay you . . .): Last night I had another dream where I was having a conversation with my mother about very mundane things. So boring and ordinary, I can't remember what they were. This is not the kind of conversation I ever have with my mother. Lately, I've been talking to my mother in my dreams far more than I ever do in real life.

When we look at patterns in literature and in life, when we talk about not knowing the story we are in, what does it mean that my pattern is the same as my mother's? I don't know what story it is, but the log rolls down the hill and I can't stop it. I am sometimes conscious that I am about to make one of the same choices or mistakes that she made, and yet I do it anyway, as if I were not in control. If we are all in a story, I think Dylan knew his. "The radio says the good times are killing me but I'm not afraid to die." - written shortly before his death. But what does it mean to find these patterns? What do we do with them? (I know I sound like a broken record and I've been writing in cliches all day, but I can't quite answer these questions and I can't quite ignore them either. Help is appreciated.)

By the way, if my morbid talk bothers you, let me know and I'll try to lighten things up. I'm really sorry. Everything in these classes is hitting too close to home for me to ignore. I can't seem to talk about these topics without talking about death, loss, and chaos.

1 comment:

Melanie said...

Excellent question, Arianna. Do you think it boils down to (another cliche for you) fate and if we are powerless against certain forces. I have always thought that once you recognize a pattern, then you could change it, but life would seem to prove me wrong.